I had a sudden thought last night.
One of those simple thoughts that feels “uncomfortable”:
what kills creativity in the human being?
Creativity is pulled down every day of our life, and this is a non recognized crime.
It is the society’s crime based on the principles or pillars of “what is to be done, what is good to do”.
So, our society provides us with pre-built paths of life, which are, according to the common sense, the good ones to follow.
We want for our kids an “established” life, because this is the safest way to go to pay bills, to afford “good education”, to buy a house, to get married, to have a stable job. In all this, we never take care of mind and feelings.
We do not teach our kids how to focus on happiness and how to be a fulfilled being. When we recognize a talent in our child, we immediately put it on a competition level. The child must be no.1!
Then, we just teach them what we were taught. We lack trust in them and we can destroy easily their freedom to express themselves and self-esteem.
So there is no evolution. And worse, we kill the Artist Child in each of us from early age.
Creativity for me, as a broad meaning; I believe we are all creative beings as creativity resides in our Inner Self. We create life, we create our reality, paintings, photos, poems, problems and their solutions. We create every single instant of our life, creativity is a synonym of Life. The thing is that most of us do not acknowledge this power, so it exists like a dormant force, or a negative pole into our daily routine.
And enthusiasm dies. Biologically enthusiasm cannot die before 70 years of age but researches have shown that nowadays it dies at 15 years of age. We have depressed teen agers who will turn into stressed and unsatisfied adults, who will most probably develop some kind of disease sometimes in their lives.
Good to know. But who really knows?
Some people wake up at a certain stage of their life, I am one of those. What we usually do is to deny what makes us happy if it does not “match” with the general rules of society. So we give up writing because it is impossible to publish, we give up painting because it does not pay the school, we give up dancing because it is time to get married and on and on the list can be long.
How many of us are living the lives they really wanted to live? Just because we do not believe in the power of creativity anymore.
We are creative Beings. No one is deprived of creativity, but most of us build up the conviction that we are not.
I like to quote the BASIC PRINCIPLES OF CREATIVITY according to Julia Cameron:
- · Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy, pure creative energy.
- · There is an underlying, in-dwelling creative force infusing all of life, including ourselves.
- · When we open ourselves to our creativity, we open ourselves to the creator’s creativity in within us and our lives.
- · We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.
- · Creativity is God’s gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God.
- · When we open ourselves to exploring our creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction.
- · As we open our creative channel to the creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.
- · It is safe to open ourselves up to greater and greater creativity.
- · Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a divine source. As we move toward our dreams, we move toward our divinity.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Let’s fly high.