Monday, August 24, 2009

HAKUNA MATATA

In April 2006 we went , as a family holiday, to South Africa , to see what it was like. The place where my husband was spending most of his time, building up his business. I must confess that, although I love traveling , I had never gone farther than Europe and Lebanon , never gone for exotic holidays in secluded islands... what the hell are you waiting for? to be a granny? I felt I was going to explore the "unknown" that was not totally unknown, as my husband was already living there and had been traveling in Africa for many years. I could guess what it was like... So I packed stuff for everybody, which took a couple of full days well, let's see.. .in Italy it is spring now, so In South Africa it should be autumn , that could mean to pack warm clothes. Shall I put cotton or wool jerseys in the luggage? Shall I take sandals or takkies? Do we need a sun block? Ah I don't have to forget the drugs for the kids... Basically the "packing fear" existed and was taking lots of energy from me. But I MADE IT ! So we went to the airport to take off to Johannesburg on a beautiful spring evening, leaving my loved Tuscany behind to jump, with my four kids, into the wild bush. I survived the night on the flight taking care of my youngest daughter who was having with 39 degrees of fever why did you wait to be on the airplane to get sick? good you took some drugs with you and who was not happy to feel "trapped" on a seat while all the other passengers were trying to sleep please please don't vomit I can cope with the fever but not with the vomit . The turbulence over the Equator did not help to relax about it. By the way, the four years old girl did not vomit and I was so grateful to the god of travelers for watching over us ! When the hostess brought the breakfast tray I was in Heaven completely relaxed I would say exhausted and ready for the adventure. The thing that stroke me most, nose stuck to the window, was that I could see a big land affected by huge blue chickenpox pimples that I realized then, were SWIMMING POOLS! Yes, swimming pools of all sizes and shapes... I was expecting to see giraffes and zebras running freely, instead I could see swimming pools. So that was the first scenario that welcomed me in South Africa. The first day went by trying to relax at the hotel after having been at the nearby hospital to check on my daughter who was not feeling well. Besides this inconvenience, the holiday started. Every single holiday has a bad side : it's too short. And this holiday was no exception : the three weeks were going so quickly, our time was intense, full of nice things to do and discover, the weather was absolutely perfect. We spent most of the time in Johannesburg area, with a few days break in Zimbali , because I wanted to have a feel on what is daily life like in Johannesburg in my mind already open to the possibility of moving the family. I must say it was love at first sight : the sounds in the streets, the music on the radio, the brightness of the sky and the beauty of the sunsets, the slow rhythm of life, the birds and nature, but most of all people's warmth and smile, and the Energy . I could not believe what I was experiencing , every single person I was dealing with, was warm, smiling and kind and they did not even know me. Those My God I feel at home here... I can live here... this is Pure Energy so I decided, fbeautiful smiles...rom my heart, and in a very impulsive way well that is your personality: you never think twice when you have to take important decisions in your life that I wanted to move to South Africa, to bring together the family again and to let my children grow in a place where they could feel that difference can be beauty, that poverty can be warmth, that we can learn to help and support others. That to be different means to be equal because we are all one. So I was experiencing , truly and deeply , the pure energy that makes South Africa so special. I could not see one single thing that would make me change my mind. I was also thinking that it would be great to brush up my knowledge of English, very rusty indeed, and to give the kids the opportunity to learn a new language. And that was it, I was back to Italy, announcing my speechless family that by september we would be moving permanently to South Africa. So...Hakuna Matata what a wonderful world !

Love&Rainbow

Copyright 2009 Lorenza Verdini

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure Energy at Blogged