Saturday, December 26, 2009

TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING


Is this Christmas “tour de force” at table finished? I think so, at least for me from tomorrow.

Italians have spent 2.6 million Euros for the traditional Christmas’ Eve dinner, Christmas lunch and today’s lunch and I cannot help asking myself if we really need to exaggerate every year. We do not only over eat, we greet people, generously offering wine, panettone (the typical Christmas cake) and lots of other gourmet stuff. We cannot help it. Food is breathing. It is a way of being, a kind of identity. Tonight we are going to see some old friends, of course out for dinner… Help.

Mother Earth does not follow any festivity or tradition, She needs to detoxify from all the rubbish we threw on her in the last 60 years. So, following the amazing snowfall of last week, we are having 20 degrees more of temperature (a kind of +18 degrees) and lots of rain. This is not normal. This rain has brought the level of the local rivers so high that this morning there has been a flood in a village 15 minutes from where we are. The river was just too proud to show its power so, went over a whole village and destroyed the houses. I guess, by now, it is only an economical damage, luckily people are not hurt. I cannot help thinking that we are responsible of all the upside down in the climate field. I keep on thinking about all the tons of plastic, glass and paper waste of those days, particularly those festivity days. Recycling is a duty but I think that reducing the consumption of goods it is also a duty. Re-using is important, reducing quantities, saving energy and giving a new meaning to our actions. Santa did not bring gifts to the adults this year in my family (we agreed with him that we do not need anything superfluous), he tried to make the kids happy. They are. We explained them we asked Santa to make more kids happy in the world and to let the adults be happy with what they have. Before leaving to Italy my two youngest girls “cleaned up” their toys baskets (they actually halved them) and we sent the toys and dolls to Susan who takes care of 150 kids who have NOTHING, not even the parents and live in the poorest informal settlement (if you have time please have a look at www.seetrust.com this is a non profit social program ) so they could have a Christmas present. They loved to share their toys and give those kids the possibility to smile. When they asked me if Santa does not bring them toys, I had to think a few seconds before answering that Santa will bring them more important things like food and clothes, so we could provide the toys. What is taken for granted from us it is vital for others.

I don’t even know why I have written this post, it was not honestly planned. Some of you know that tomorrow I am going in the middle of the Black Forrest in Germany for a silent retreat, where I’ll be doing, yoga, meditation, seva (service) breathing techniques and ayurvedic massages. My husband will join. We’ll be cut off communication for a week. For the first time in my life I’ll leave my four kids and won’t be talking for a week. I’ll be surrounded by other silent people but I’ll be in my soul’s company… It is going to be intense and surely I'll get to know myself better. But no more words now...

I will miss you guys, honestly you have become part of my life, but I am looking forward to writing and sharing my experience with you once back. And reading your wonderful posts.

Love & Rainbow

Copyright2009LorenzaVerdini

12 comments:

  1. we do hold a responsability for our earth, we abuse it and she suffewrs.....

    enjoy your retreat, it sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steven, lots of things to share when I am back... keep well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Christmas has gotten out of hand as we overindulge more each year. Simple traditions were so much better.

    Far too many of us are greedy and taking advantage of what Mother Earth offers right now, without regard for future generations. We are disrespectful to her and it is indeed a shame. Our children are not inheriting a very pretty world from us. It makes me feel sad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love reading your posts. I can relate to the food part being Swiss-Italian myself. As for the silent retreat ... I am completely and utterly jealous. Have a wonderful time getting to know yourself better. Ciao!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorenza,

    You are a wise and lovely soul. I so enjoy reading your posts. How beautiful of your girls to be so generous. I am working with my children now to let go of many things now that they have received so much. Next year, I shall take you as inspiration and encourage this action before Christmas so they may give to children in time for the holiday. I hope you have a soothing retreat, What a terrific way to reflect on the old year and start the new year in a great frame of mind. See you in 2010!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi lorenza! so happy to meet you! your blog is sooo great, i love reading your posts!
    i agree with you that there is too much of everything during the christmas time! we should treat us better (especially our health) and limit ourselves to smaller amounts of food... i'm envy of your travel to the black forrest! enjoy this lovely time and describe it here! i'm looking forward to read about it!
    have a very sweet day!
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorenza, I hope you are enjoying your break. I am late to comment, as I was taking a break as well. But late is better than never, I hope. I do wish you the best this coming new year. And I hope you have been enjoying your silence. That was a beautiful post, by the way. Straight from your heart. I like that! Happy New Year, Lorenza.

    xo
    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU everybody for your generous comments. I am back, looking forward to sharing my indescribable experience but I don't have internet connection. I hope to write my post soon

    Love&rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorenza, a new friend here. I like this blog particularly about your concern over the 3R's- reuse, reduce, recycle.There's so much trash, all over the world. My country recently experienced disastrous floods due to trash. Great to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The holidays doesn't mean we have to overdo things. I wish things are better now where the floods were. Good luck on your trip!

    Happy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my Italian friend! How are you? We hope you had a real blessing time in the Black Forrest/ Schwartzen Walt. Hope to hear from you soon. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you had a great break

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Pure Energy at Blogged