Friday, November 6, 2009

EVERY DAY'S COURAGE


I am reading a book that I probably would not buy myself because of its content. I got it from Paul, a dear friend who went to an open market in Greenpark where some people were selling their organic products.

She, the brand new author, was selling her first published novel. So Paul bought it and gave it to me. I took it with deep respect a first published novel must be worshipped by everybody not being sure if I would enjoy reading about the story of a small girl who is brought up in a family where the mother is alcoholic and the step father is sexually abusing her. But the story takes place in Johannesburg during the 70s and I felt I have to read about the South African society of that time. A kind of inner curiosity was rising up.

So I started this book only few days ago the book is amazing.

The story is obviously intense and touching but what I like most is the fact that the author writes in first person, being Theresa, the girl; this gives the narration an incredible rhythm because of the alternation of feelings and thinking. It is Theresa who is telling us her most intimate fears, thoughts, hopes, dreams and struggles. It is not somebody else describing her; it is her opening up her heart to the readers and showing what is her world with the difficulties of her daily issues. Telling us how she sees the adults’ world and how she is coping with it.

The book is JELLY DOG DAYS by Erica Emdon.

The reason why I started with few words on this book is because I have been thinking a lot about the concept of COURAGE. This is a story of courage.

What entangles my mind is that I cannot really define courage unless I accept that it is a big pot where there are lots of nice ingredients cooking and melting together.

So this is my recipe, please take note and invite your guests for dinner.

Stewed courage Lorenza’s way:

OPENNESS, FORGIVENESS, ACCEPTANCE, FREEDOM , LOVE everything in abundance and according to your palate.

Being open to Life is an act of courage. It is being fully part of this earthly experience, accepting that we can go beyond the limits of what is defined by our five senses. It is welcoming, heart in hands that Teacher Life is there all the time to bring Her message. Feeling this openness to Life is an act of courage.

Forgiveness can never take place without courage; those who cannot forgive are not brave, they can only stay in the midst of their resentment. Forgiving is moving on, accepting deep inside, what happened. It is not love; it is an act of courage.

Acceptance is taking things they way they are, without being judgemental. It is the way it is, I just don’t define what happens with critical thinking. I do not put the events in the cage of my left-brain, but I let them flow freely in order to let them go and move on. This is very difficult and only the brave ones can acknowledge this mental approach; for me it is a kind of spiritual path that needs lots of courage to be undertaken.

Love. Unconditional love requires courage. Selective love is for everybody, including myself. I am very ordinary when I choose whom I want to love. I am the bravest one when I love unconditionally. Loving unconditionally is the difficult way, it comes from the heart and only few can reach this state of enlightment.

But of course they have got plenty of courage.

These ingredients are all important; they mix and blend altogether into the idea of courage.

One last thought: it requires lots of courage being ourselves and this is the everyday courage. Being willing to follow our passions and dreams, expressing our talents.

Those who can run after their dreams, holding a kite, are the brave ones. Those who express themselves writing, painting, loving, singing, healing, working, cooking, giving, sharing, caring are the brave ones. Those who carry on doing what they love, with passion, after getting slaps from Mother Life, are the bravest of the brave ones.

I dedicate my post to all those who love writing and feel they wish to express their creativity.

With unconditional love.

Copyright2009LorenzaVerdini

8 comments:

  1. There's one thing in the recipe that I have a hard time dealing with: FORGIVENESS. But I've been trying to let go of all the pain I've been through. And I think I'm feeling a little better everyday.

    I would like to be the brave one. I want to continue doing what I love to do even if others don't think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accept that the only relevant thing is to carry on doing the things you LOVE to do. You are a brave one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend....I can't believe it!I was going to propose you to write about COURAGE. I opened your blog and I found it...it is amazing...!
    I was going to ask you what you think about that feeling that I don't really have in this moment of my life...and like an angel you arrive with your beautiful recipe...I'll read and read all the things that you have written in order to let them entered inside me...in order to make them be mine...I'll do my best because now it is the the feeling I need most...COURAGE..thanks thanks from the depeer parts of my heart.....miss you...XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with peenkfrik, forgiveness is probably the hardest thing to do. we are afraid once we forgive we lose control. i found out that holding on to my hatred just made my life so much worse, so it actually is the key to happiness. difficult, but worth trying. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SERE: what can I say? we are all ONE and connected and today, with your search for answers and my inspiration we have got the proof. Courage is a state of your soul, sometimes we miss it. Many times it is back... Courage is a path to the freedom of being the person you want to be.

    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. SARAH: you are right, forgiveness is a difficult step to undertake: I could not forgive something for a long time,I was having lots of resentment and all the good energy and things in my life were stuck. Two weeks ago I felt it was time to forgive and set myself free from the burden of bad feelings. I understood what I was creating in my life: negative stuff.I am absolutely "light" now and good things have started to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LORENZA,
    I like the stew except i would just have to spice it up with some laughter

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are RIGHT! THAT'S THE MISSING INGREDIENT! Thanks Bob

    Love&Rainbow

    ReplyDelete

Pure Energy at Blogged