Friday, October 2, 2009

ART OF LIVING

Back to my journey.

There is something that strikes me when I think back about the experiences and choices I have made since I was diagnosed with Adolph (alias breast cancer, author’s note) and throughout my treatments. I never made researches on what it would be best for me. I never got involved with my rational mind in looking for alternative’s ways to improve my health.

Everything always happened by chance but of course I was open to receive the message. So it was when I read that meditation is so good for healing. And I felt I had to try. Then, from a rusty corner of my memory I remembered I read somewhere about the benefits of yoga. I had a controversial feeling about it because yoga, in my imaginary, was a very performing practise where only the fittest are welcome. People able to cross both legs around their neck (without farting…ooops ) or standing on one leg in the loto position for at least 36 hours, carrying on being happy. That idea of yoga was not for me. So when it popped out of my mind, I met a friend of mine who told me about a lovely woman who gives yoga classes where I live. Wow, the best… I don’t even have to drive if I want to join a class. So I started to nurture the thought that I could try it. I got in touch with the lovely lady, Harsha, and decided to join a course, which was starting the day I finished my radiations.

This kind of yoga is called SRI SRI YOGA and it is absolutely perfect for a meditative person like me, it is the opposite of my original idea of yoga. It is a very gentle practise which work at any level of fitness or flexibility ; I don’t feel any “performance stress” so it is the perfect exercise. I cannot stand noisy places and I find gyms to be very loud and show off places where basically people go to feel admired for their muscles, bums and boops (I haven’t found this last word on my vocabulary but I guess the spelling is right…do you get what I mean?). So, I went for my first yoga lesson.

My muscles were very stiff because of all the toxicity from the treatments but I was not really concerned about it. I tried every posture was suggested and as I was already doing meditation I found that those postures were helping me to get in touch with my Inward. After the 6 days intensive course I went back home feeling great without stiffness in my body.I must keep on doing this, it is so powerful and relaxing at the same time…

Then the third move came to me.

The yoga teacher, who is a dear friend of mine now, told me about the Art Of Living Foundation (www.artofliving.org) which is well know worldwide and whose founder, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is not only a spiritual leader or Guru , but the creator of a powerful breathing technique called SUDARSHAN KRYIA. This technique has been learnt by millions of people in the world (yes, millions) who have experienced the benefits. It has been scientifically proven that it is a healing technique that boosters our immune system. There are stories of people who healed from cancer, depression, anxiety, sleeping disorders, diabetes , different addictions and so forth.

Well... I was absolutely interested in doing the BASIC COURSE teaching this technique. Before going, my left brain tried to hold me back come on how can you find the time to leave the children for four evenings in a row plus Saturday and Sunday? You are always tired you sleep like a log at 8.00 p.m., you’ ll be snoring during the course. Aren’t you scared to go with other people you don’ t know to learn “how to breathe” ah ah ah Almost resigned to accept these motivations, unexpectedly my right brain lifted his magic punch and knocked his brother down on a winning k.o. And off I went.

I did the course in July 2008.It has been a gift for Life. I not only learned this powerful technique, which has become part of my life as a daily routine, but I found a path to spirituality, which has opened up new ways of knowledge and understanding. After having done the course I practise every day the breathing and meditation, and I feel great. From the physical point of view I do not get my kids bugs, my level of energy has dramatically increased, I do not suffer from my bad sinusitis anymore or back pain (thanks to the yoga too) and I am as fit as a fiddle.

From the human point of view I am fulfilled; my creativity has shown up again, I believe I have got talent and wish to express it. I feel at peace.

So then my husband did the course. And then some friends. And then my teen ager daughter and kids (there is a specific course for teens and children) and I would suggest to do it to all those people I love and care of come on guys I love you all. All the teacher of the AOL are volunteers, the money raised from the courses go to specific projects to help needy community and the course is taught in prisons as well all over the world, to help the prisoners to learn to do something of their life. With a simple daily practise that need 25 minutes of time.

I see my oncologist every 4 months, but he gets rid of me quickly because I am well I don’t mind at all and for the next check up he does not want me to do blood tests. I’ll invite him to join the next course with me.

Namaste

Lorenza

Copyright2009LorenzaVerdini

4 comments:

  1. Dear friend the more I read you the more I learn and the more I miss you I miss our talks....pls go on writing ...never stop because I need to read you to have all these wonderful feelings you give....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Serena you are soooooooooooooo welcome.....
    Never forget one day will run away to Mexico to sell Italian ice cream on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming to visit from the SITS Saturday Sharefest. Beautifully written post. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Joanna and welcome. You have a very creative blog, I like it ! I'll pop in again to get inspired by your work

    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete

Pure Energy at Blogged